Sample Energy Manager Job Description
JOB TITLE: Energy Manager
Be responsible for analyzing current energy usage and developing the district's energy management plan in order to provide proper environmental conditions with cost effective energy utilization. The Energy Manager will be responsible for the district's HVAC control and energy tracking computer system in order to achieve this purpose.
Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, engineering technology, business or related field with emphasis on facilities management. Professional designation of Certified Energy Manager (CEM), preferred.
Knowledge of energy management program development. Knowledge of HVAC and lighting systems. Ability to manage budget and personnel. Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
Two years of experience in energy management, mechanical systems design, construction, and/or maintenance, or closely related field
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Ensure that energy management operations are supportive of the instructional goals of the district.
- Promote a comfortable indoor climate for learning.
- Maintain liaison with the Maintenance/Operations department and Principals and their staffs in order to provide optimum facility comfort while reducing energy consumption levels.
- Employ effective interpersonal skills.
- Recommend sound policies directed toward energy conservation.
- Develop long-range plans for implementing innovations.
- Support district programs for recruitment, selection, orientation, and assignment of district maintenance employees.
- Assist maintenance managers in evaluating HVAC and energy equipment maintenance staff to ensure effectiveness.
- Develop training options and/or improvement plans to ensure the best operation in the area of HVAC and energy equipment maintenance.
- Pursue an aggressive program to reduce district costs for energy.
- Assume responsibility for compiling, maintaining, and filing all energy reports, billings, and other documents required.
- Maintain a continuous activity schedule for all buildings in order to coordinate efficient usage.
- Utilize consultants when necessary to identify energy conservation measures.
- Compile utility budgets and energy conservation measure cost estimates based upon documented program needs.
- Pursue outside funding sources for equipment retrofits.
- Maintain liaison with equipment suppliers in order to conduct bidding process for equipment upgrades and retrofits.
- Monitor all facilities design and construction activities as relates to energy management.
- Review and recommend maintenance supply and equipment purchases to ensure energy efficient replacements are being specified.
- Review and negotiate energy purchase agreements and make recommendations regarding energy fuel selection.
- Implement the policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule, and local board policy in the area of energy conservation.
- Provide regular reports as to the overall effectiveness of the energy management program.
- Demonstrate support for the district's student management policies and expected
student behavior related to energy management and safety programs.
- Take the initiative to develop needed professional skills appropriate to job assignments.
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible and serve as a role model for all district staff.
- 25. Articulate the district's mission and goals in the area of energy management to the community and solicit its support in realizing the mission.
- Demonstrate awareness of district-community needs and initiate activities to meet those identified needs.
- Demonstrate the use of appropriate and effective techniques for community and staff involvement.
Supervise and evaluate the performance of support staff assigned to the area of energy management.
Extensive in-district travel.
Periodic exposure to conditions in mechanical/boiler rooms, ceilings, roofs, and underfloor areas.
Occasional irregular hours.