This appendix summarizes surveys of central administrators and support staff in Mt. Pleasant Independent School District during the review, including comments made to open-ended questions. The survey results presented here do not necessarily reflect the findings or opinions of the review team or the Comptroller.
During the week beginning October 12, 1998, survey instruments were provided to all central administrators and staff within the district. The surveys were delivered to each participant personally.
Each of the surveys were self administered and all those surveyed were asked to return their surveys by October 22, 1998. The deadline was extended, and all surveys received are included in the results. All survey respondents were provided with a postage-paid reply envelope to provide maximum security and allow for candid, confidential responses.
Information requested from those surveyed included rankings of the various areas covered by chapters in this report. Additional space was provided for any other comments that each respondent cared to make. The data included in this appendix includes a portion of the comments and responses to the open-ended questions.
SUMMARY OF DATA
Twenty-five responses came back from Central Administration and support staff.
Percentage of Respondents by Area
Area Percentage of Respondents Elementary/intermediate school 4% Middle/junior high school 4% High school 0 Office support 25% Counseling 0 Instruction 8% Special education 0 Personnel 0 Finance/business 21% Food services 0 Transportation 0 Maintenance 0 Technology 17% Other 21%
Some significant findings are as follows:
- Only one-third of the respondents gave the school board an "A" or "B" for their work and only 21 percent said the board had a knowledge of the educational needs of the students.
- Eighty-eight percent felt the superintendent deserved an "A" or "B" for his work.
- Ninety-six percent felt that central administration does a good job of supporting the educational process.
- Seventy-one percent of the respondents felt that the quality of staff development for their department was good.
- Ninety-six percent indicated that technology for administrative purposes deserved an "A" or "B".
- All the respondents gave current salaries an "A" or "B", but only 69 percent felt that way regarding employee health benefits.
The remainder of this appendix provides survey results by each question for central administrators and support staff.
Mount Pleasant Independent School District
Management and Performance Review
Central Administrators and Support Staff Survey
The Texas State Comptroller's office is conducting a management and performance review of the Mount Pleasant Independent School District (MPISD). The three main objectives of the performance review are to (1) enhance educational service delivery through better operating efficiency, (2) identify ways to improve management practices, and (3) identify opportunities for cost savings within district operations.
Input from central administrators and support staff is critical to the management review process; therefore, we would like you to complete the survey instrument and return it via the postage paid envelope provided no later than October 22, 1998. You may also place your completed survey in the box in the front office of a school.
No names are requested on the survey instrument, so your responses will be treated with strict confidence. There are no right or wrong answers; however, your honest responses will ensure that the performance review team understands the opinions of central administrative personnel in your district.
Please circle the answer that best describes how you feel about the survey question asked. Provide a brief response to questions that require a narrative answer.
- How many years have you been employed by the MPISD?
1-5 6-10 11-15 16-20 20+ 44% 20% 8% 12% 16%
- Circle the department/area within the district where you are employed.
Students are often given the grades A, B, C, D, and F to denote the quality of their work. Suppose the following areas in MPISD are graded in the same way. Circle your response.
Elementary Intermediate Middle Junior High High School Office Support Counseling 4% 4% 0% 20% 0% Instruction Special Education Personnel Finance/ Business Food Services 8% 0% 0% 24% 0% Transportation Maintenance Technology/ Computer Other N/R 4% 0% 16% 20% 0%
- MPISD school board
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 0% 33% 40% 4% 4% 16% 4%
- Superintendent of MPISD
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 44% 40% 4% 0% 8% 4% 0%
- Other district-level central administration in MPISD
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 36% 52% 4% 4% 0% 4% 0%
- Campus-level administrators in MPISD
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 40% 52% 4% 0% 0% 4% 0%
- Teachers in MPISD
Now please indicate if you strongly agree, agree, have no opinion, disagree, or strongly disagree with the following statements.
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 36% 44% 16% 0% 0% 4% 0%
- Student learning and education are the main priorities in the MPISD
Strongly Agree Agree No Opinion Disagree Strongly Disagree N/R 52% 44% 4% 0% 0% 0%
- Central administration operates effectively and efficiently
Strongly Agree Agree No Opinion Disagree Strongly Disagree N/R 36% 60% 4% 0% 0% 0%
- Central administration does a good job of supporting the educational process at MPISD
Strongly Agree Agree No Opinion Disagree Strongly Disagree N/R 52% 44% 4% 0% 0% 0%
- I am part of the annual planning and budgeting process
Strongly Agree Agree No Opinion Disagree Strongly Disagree N/R 20% 16% 44% 8% 12% 0%
- Salaries are equitable within MPISD
Strongly Agree Agree No Opinion Disagree Strongly Disagree N/R 12% 28% 20% 20% 20% 0%
- Salaries are competitive with salaries paid to similar employees outside of MPISD
Strongly Agree Agree No Opinion Disagree Strongly Disagree N/R 8% 8% 28% 36% 20% 0%
- Central administration does what it can to ensure the necessary supplies and materials are made available to support instruction at MPISD
Strongly Agree Agree No Opinion Disagree Strongly Disagree N/R 52% 36% 12% 0% 0% 0%
- Facilities are kept clean and well maintained in MPISD
Going back to the grading scale, A, B, C, D, or F, please rate the following.
Strongly Agree Agree No Opinion Disagree Strongly Disagree N/R 16% 64% 4% 12% 4% 0%
- The school board's knowledge of the educational needs of students in MPISD
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 8% 12% 40% 16% 0% 20% 4%
- The school board's ability to establish effective district policies
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 8% 32% 32% 4% 4% 16% 4%
- The superintendent's role as instructional leader of MPISD
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 36% 36% 16% 0% 8% 4% 0%
- The superintendent's role as chief administrator (manager) of MPISD
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 52% 36% 0% 0% 8% 4% 0%
- Current process for posting positions and hiring central administration personnel
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 40% 32% 8% 0% 8% 12% 0%
- Current process for evaluating central administration personnel
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 24% 32% 12% 4% 0% 28% 0%
- Administrative policy and procedure manuals within your department
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 32% 40% 12% 4% 4% 8% 0%
- Overall effectiveness of your department
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 52% 44% 0% 0% 0% 4% 0%
- The budget development process
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 32% 32% 12% 4% 0% 20% 0%
- Staff development provided for your department
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 40% 28% 4% 16% 4% 8% 0%
- School district's use of technology for administrative purposes
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 68% 24% 8% 0% 0% 0% 0%
- School district's relationship with various groups in the community (i.e., parents, businesses, and civic groups)
Again, please indicate if you strongly agree, agree, have no opinion, disagree, or strongly disagree with the following statements.
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 48% 28% 8% 4% 4% 8% 0%
- An effective line of communication exists between central administration and schools
Strongly Agree Agree No Opinion Disagree Strongly Disagree N/R 20% 56% 8% 16% 0% 0%
- An effective line of communication exist between central administration and parents
Strongly Agree Agree No Opinion Disagree Strongly Disagree N/R 20% 52% 12% 16% 0% 0%
- In what ways could MPISD operate more efficiently? Attach additional sheets if necessary.
Look at more vocational programs.
When a district identifies student problems, don't just stop there, but work with student and help her/him.
Better communications between departments.
I think that if we had a more supportive school board, it would make a big difference. We need to educate our board to better serve the children of MPISD in every aspect. This also includes business with teachers' pay. If we have high turnover with new teachers, the children will suffer.
At this time I have a very short time working with this district; therefore, I do not know how things are operated. The only thing I can comment on are the teachers and that's because my son is a student at MPISD.
Communication between central administration (business office) and campuses could be improved. It appears as if the campuses disregard purchasing policies and procedures and travel request deadlines. A better understanding and respect for those rules would save some time and headaches.
MPISD could operate more efficiently in that the school board needs to work with the upper administration. They need to know their role as board members. The district's demographic is changing. They should try to hire more minorities. Children need to identify with professionals in the district.
Have some of their board members educated [to avoid unnecessary] questions (i.e. procedures).
Better communication with community. Better communication between central administration and teachers - many are unaware and are distrustful of central administration. Policies and procedures need to be explained yearly to all staff - that would make things run more efficiently - at present things need to be done two or three times before they're done according to policy.
I think upper administration should delegate more authority in departments; then certain tasks could be completed faster.
Bring in new central support administrators. There is no team spirit in central administration, there is no communication.
The board needs to pay close attention to money matters.
Using the grading system again, please rate the following:
- Central administrators and support staff salaries
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 20% 32% 12% 20% 8% 8% 0%
- Benefits provided to employees
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 28% 40% 20% 0% 8% 4% 0%
- Health insurance provided by the district meets my needs
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 44% 16% 12% 12% 4% 8% 4%
Please grade the combined efficiency and effectiveness for each of the following districtwide services of MPISD:
- Instructional services
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 44% 44% 4% 0% 0% 8% 0%
- Maintenance services
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 12% 56% 12% 0% 4% 16% 0%
- Custodial services
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 12% 60% 12% 4% 0% 12% 0%
- Transportation services
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 20% 36% 16% 4% 0% 24% 0%
- Personnel services
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 40% 36% 8% 0% 4% 12% 0%
- Food services
B C D F Don't Know N/R 44% 44% 0% 0% 0% 12% 0%
- Financial services
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 36% 48% 0% 0% 0% 16% 0%
- Staff development
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 44% 36% 8% 0% 4% 8% 0%
- Management information/computer services
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 48% 40% 4% 0% 0% 8% 0%
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 52% 40% 0% 0% 0% 8% 0%
- Planning and budgeting
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 44% 36% 8% 0% 0% 12% 0%
- Overall operations of MPISD
A B C D F Don't Know N/R 36% 52% 4% 4% 0% 4% 0%
- We have left the following space blank to allow you to add any other comments, suggestions, or complaints. Attach additional pages if necessary.
Discipline within all schools is becoming a great problem. It is not the schools' fault but everyone blames schools. Classroom behavior is awful. Student behavior at sports activities is rude. Parents are responsible but they expect the schools to do something about it. We need to develop some positive behavior modifications that work! - NOT JUST WORDS.
Improve teacher/employee morale.
The board seems to have no understanding of accounting rules and procedures. Rather than looking at the overall picture of the financial aspects of the district, they consistently dwell on small, petty details.
In my opinion, I feel that the district tries hard to put children first. The superintendent believes if we put children first then all other issues fall into place. Because the district has made every effort to do this, they have excelled in areas where other districts have problems; for example, technology. In East Texas Mt. Pleasant has surpassed other districts. In staff development, hardware/software, and Internet capabilities for the entire district.
Ladies in the business department are underpaid and overworked. We've added three campuses and no help in this area - we need at least one more full time person in this department.
We need unity or purpose among our administrators. Educating our children requires all of our energy when we work toward a common goal. When we pull in different directions, we waste much energy. Principals must have the desire and capacity to be instructional leaders.
I believe that MPISD needs to listen more to students and try to work with students instead of against them. We need to have better communication between students and teachers. Teachers need to sympathize and listen to help students out.
Micromanaging of the board has affected all of us. We have lost some good people and almost lost others because of their negativity.
Too strong a focus has been placed on technology tying up funds needed through Compensatory Education and Title 1.
Too many "big bosses" not communicating well with each other to keep clear direction/purposes established.
Lack of follow-through on good implementations/changes - VISION.
Until the superintendent leaves, things will "never" operate smoothly.
The salaries of support staff are totally unfair.
Thank you very much for your participation. If you have additional comments, and would like to provide more input directly to the Comptroller's office, you may call our toll-free hotline.